Orthopedic surgeons are among the highest-paid specialties, according to the "2023 Physician Compensation Report" from Physicians Thrive.
Physicians Thrive compiled data from about a dozen sources.
Six things to know:
1. The median salary for orthopedic surgeons is $546,000. It's among the top-paying specialities along with plastic surgery ($527,000), cardiology ($527,000) and urology ($497,000).
2. The average orthopedic incentive bonus is $126,000.
3. Orthopedic surgeons generate up to seven times their salary for average net annual hospital revenue. Cardiologists, gastroenterologists, family medicine physicians and OB/GYNs also generate the same figures.
4. Orthopedic surgeons working at a single-speciality practice tend to earn the most with an average salary of $650,000. Those working for academic departments tend to earn the lowest with the average salary of $400,000.
5. Orthopedic surgeons tend to have a high job satisfaction with 97 percent saying they would choose the same specialty again.
6. Orthopedic surgeons in the Midwest tend to earn the most with a median salary of $730,000. Orthopedic surgeons in the West had the lowest median salary of $609,000.