From salaries to changes in the number of physicians working, here are five orthopedic statistics to know in 2023:
1. In 2021 there were 18,469 active orthopedic surgeons, according to the Association of American Medical College's "2022 Physician Specialty Data Report." That figure was down 3.7% from 2016.
2. The average pay for orthopedic physicians was $557,000, according to Medscape's "Physician Compensation Report 2022.". The average incentive bonus was $126,000.
3. Forty-five percent of orthopedic surgeons surveyed said they experienced burnout, Medscape's "Physician Burnout & Depression Report 2023." The specialty, along with plastic surgery (46 percent), nephrology (44 percent) and cardiology (43 percent), had lower rates of burnout.
4. Twenty-five percent of orthopedic physicians surveyed said their net worth was $5 million or more, according to Medscape's 2022 "Physician Wealth & Debt Report."
5. Forty-eight percent of young orthopedic surgeons carry student debt, according to Medscape's "Young Physician Compensation Report 2022."