Orthopedic procedures are increasingly shifting to outpatient and ASC settings as big name providers open new outpatient facilities and ASCs acquire new artificial intelligence.
CMS, commercial payers and providers continue to push surgical procedures to outpatient settings.
"Regarding procedure volume, predictive modeling in demographics points to a population boom of those seeking orthopedic care, so we know that orthopedic procedures will be a meaningful source of ASC case volume growth in the future," John Ryan, CEO of Indianapolis-based OrthoIndy, told Becker's.
"We also know that more and more orthopedic procedures are migrating into the outpatient setting from the inpatient setting, providing yet another source of growth in ASC procedure volume opportunity."
Golden Valley, Minn.-based Twin Cities Orthopedics is looking at plans to expand its seven ASCs as it develops an eighth in Plymouth, Minn., CEO Aaron Johnson told Becker's.
"Like many in the orthopedic industry, we are positioning our practice and our ASCs for growth because so many surgeries are moving to the outpatient setting," Mr. Johnson said.
Jeremy Smith, MD, a surgeon at Hoag Orthopedic Institute in Irvine, Calif., told Becker's he believes that in the next 10 years, the majority of spine surgeons will perform all procedures in the outpatient setting.
Five more hospitals and practices bolstering their outpatient programs since Dec. 13:
1. The first robot-assisted total knee replacement in northern Arkansas was performed at Precision Surgical Center of Northwest Arkansas in Rogers.
2. Pittsburgh-based Allegheny Health Network's Monroeville (Pa.) Surgery Center became the first in the region to perform an outpatient hip replacement.
3. Tulsa Bone and Joint's Union Pines Surgery Center became the first ambulatory surgery center in Oklahoma to offer procedures with Mako SmartRobotics.
4. Orthopaedic Associates of Zanesville and New Albany-based JIS Orthopedics, both in Ohio, partnered to provide outpatient orthopedic care at Cambridge (Ohio) Surgical Suites.
5. Mon Health Preston Memorial Hospital in Kingwood, W.Va., is now offering same-day total joint replacement procedures.