Florida is becoming an increasingly competitive state for orthopedic surgeons, according to Alex Vaccaro, MD, PhD, president of Philadelphia-based Rothman Orthopedic Institute.
Here are eight updates from the state since the beginning of 2023:
1. Miami-based Mount Sinai Medical Center became the first hospital in south Florida to use Zimmer Biomet's Persona IQ smart knee implant.
2. Orlando (Fla.) Health sports rehabilitation clinical specialist Cory Price was named director of medical and performance for the Orlando Pride soccer team.
3. Orthopedic Specialists of Southwest Florida in Fort Myers is working on a new headquarters and ASC.
4. The Orthopedic Clinic in Daytona Beach, Fla., broke ground on its future headquarters.
5. Jonathan Levy, MD, joined the Paley Orthopedic and Spine Institute in Boca Raton, Fla.
6. Philadelphia-based Rothman Orthopaedics and Altamonte Springs, Fla.-based AdventHealth partnered with the Orlando Magic NBA team.
7. New York City-Based Hospital for Special Surgery appointed Tara McCoy as CEO of its Florida division.
8. Orthopedic surgeon Marc Matarazzo, MD, joined the Center for Bone and Joint Surgery in Jupiter and Port St. Lucie, Fla.