Here are 10 things to know about New York City-based Hospital for Special Surgery in 2021:
1. Newsweek named HSS as the world's best hospital for orthopedics in its "The World’s Best Hospitals 2021" report.
2. HSS celebrated one year since opening its 60,000-square-foot facility in West Palm Beach, Fla. The center was opened in January 2020.
3. Martin Roche, MD, a total joint specialist, was appointed director of hip and knee arthroplasty at HSS Florida in West Palm Beach, Fla. in January 2021.
4. HSS became the first facility to launch technology for digitizing pathology slides with Sectra Digital Pathology Solution in February 2021.
5. HSS orthopedic surgeons Benedict Nwachukwu, MD, and Riley Williams III, MD, are the first members of a medical advisory council created by Ametros, a company designed to help patients save money on ongoing medical expenses.
6. HSS, a partner with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, extended its contract in December.
7. HSS opened an outpatient facility in New York City's Hudson Yards development June 1.
8. HSS received the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's "LGBTQ Health Care Equality Leader" designation in September. It was recognized for factors including nondiscrimination policies and incorporating sensitivity training into its staff development modules.
9. HSS logged the nation's first augmented reality-assisted knee replacement in January 2021.
10. HSS has 71 fellows and 47 residents, according to its website. It has nearly 400 active medical staff.