From the first augmented reality surgery in Richmond, Va., to a surgery using a 3D-printed custom implant, here are five spine surgery milestones Becker's has reported on since March 1:
1. Anup Gangavalli, MD, of OrthoVirginia, completed the first augmented reality spine surgery in Richmond, Va.
2. Don Stovall, MD, of Summerville, S.C.-based Lowcountry Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, has completed 151 robot-assisted lumbar spine surgeries.
3. Edward DelSole, MD, has performed the first lumbar spinal fusion surgery with a lifetime guarantee at Danville, Pa.-based Geisinger Community Medical Center.
4. Christopher Battista, MD, of Lowcountry Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine in Summerville, S.C., performed the state's first surgery using a 3D-printed custom implant.
5. Chad Campion, MD, was the first surgeon to use the 7D Flash navigation system in combination with the Firebird spinal fixation system.