Themistocles Protopsaltis, MD, is chief of spine surgery at NYU Langone Health in New York City.
Five things to know about him:
1. Dr. Protopsaltis grew up knowing he wanted to be a surgeon. He earned his medical degree and completed his residency at Columbia University in New York City.
2. He has clinical expertise in cervical and thoracolumbar spinal deformity, degenerative spinal conditions and minimally invasive spine surgery.
3. Dr. Protopsaltis' research interests include cervical disc replacement, microscopic lumbar discectomy, cervical radiculopathy and anterior cervical decompression and fusion.
4. Dr. Protopsaltis is a professor of orthopedics and neurosurgery at NYU Grossman School of Medicine.
5. He is active in the Cervical Spine Research Society, North American Spine Society, Scoliosis Research Society and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.