Several multimillion-dollar orthopedic projects got under way in the first half of 2022.
Here are seven projects in the works:
1. Charlotte-based Novant Health and New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, N.C., broke ground on a $210 million orthopedic hospital. Scotts Hill Community Hospital will comprise 66 beds, eight operating rooms and focus on orthopedic services and general surgery. It is expected to open in 2024.
2. Rochester, Minn.-based Mayo Clinic Health System is developing an $11 million sports medicine and imaging center with ties to the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. The facility will be 20,000 square feet and treat patients and student-athletes at the university.
3. The opening of Centura Health's hospital under construction in Colorado Springs, Colo., has been delayed to July 2023. The 72-bed hospital, which broke ground in May 2021 and now will cost close to $170 million, will specialize in spine and orthopedics and employ about 400 staff members.
4. Sioux Falls, S.D.-based Sanford Health on June 7 broke ground on a $161 million orthopedic hospital that spans 205,000 square feet. The six-story facility will include 12 operating rooms, 19 inpatient rooms and 56 medical suites patients' families can use as hotel rooms.
5. University of Rochester (N.Y.) Medical Center is planning a $277 million orthopedic center in a former Sears retail space. The 350,000-square-foot facility in Henrietta, N.Y., will include 210,000 square feet of renovated space. Another 140,000 square feet will be used for an outpatient clinic. The center is expected to be completed by 2023.
6. Phoenix-based Banner Health broke ground on a $54 million sports medicine facility in Scottsdale, Ariz. The facility will be three stories and 80,000 square feet. Initially, the project was slated to open in late 2022, but now it is projected to open in 2023.
7. Danville, Pa.-based Geisinger broke ground on a $180 million orthopedic center. The Orthopedic Center of Pennsylvania will have eight operating rooms, imaging services and an outpatient clinic with 96 exam rooms. It will also have a 28-bed inpatient unit. Construction is expected to be completed in 2024.