Carilion Clinic is a Roanoke, Va.-based health clinic that serves nearly 1 million patients in the area across its departments, which include The Institute for Orthopaedics and Neurosciences.
Six things to know about Carilion Clinic's Department of Orthopaedics:
1. The orthopedic institute is Carilion's first institute, combining two complementary disciplines.
2. The clinic offers its own graduate medical education and fellowship programs for orthopedic surgeons.
3. Carilion has its own musculoskeletal education and research center for investigative studies and clinical trials.
4. Carilion orthopedics used to be the Roanoke Orthopaedic Center before joining with the Carilion system in 2010.
5. Carilion orthopedics, then the Roanoke Orthopaedic Center, performed the world's first total knee and hip arthroplasty in 1972.
6. Carilion orthopedics has 47 providers.