From smart knee debuts to a new hand surgery procedure, here are 10 notable orthopedic surgery milestones so far in 2022:
2. Ran Schwarzkopf, MD, of New York City-based NYU Langone Health, completed the first case with Smith+Nephew's Journey II medial dished knee replacement system.
3. Three orthopedic surgeons debuted Exactech's Newton Knee implant for total joint replacements.
4. Daniel Jones, MD, completed the first knee replacement with the Persona IQ smart implant in Florida. Jacob Sams, MD, debuted the same technology in Illinois, and Brian Larkin, MD, debuted it in Colorado.
5. Cyna Khalily, MD, an orthopedic surgeon in Louisville, Ky., completed the first robot-assisted surgery with Smith+Nephew's Legion Conceloc cementless total knee system.
6. Brian Rebolledo, MD, of Scripps Clinic in San Diego, became the first surgeon in Southern California to use a mixed reality headset for shoulder replacements.
7. Smith+Nephew's Ri.Hip Modeler and Ri.Hip Navigation tools for hip replacements debuted at Duke Regional Hospital in Durham, N.C.