A quarter of orthopedic specialists have a net worth of at least $5 million, while 14 percent have a net worth under $500,000, according to Medscape's 2022 "Physician Wealth & Debt Report."
Medscape surveyed 13,064 physicians from Oct. 5, 2021, to Jan. 19.
Five things to know:
1. Orthopedics is among the top five wealthiest specialities, with 25 percent of survey respondents reporting a net worth of more than $5 million. Plastic surgery (26 percent), dermatology (23 percent), urology (23 percent) and cardiology (23 percent) are among the other specialities with physicians reporting a net worth of at least $5 million.
2. Fourteen percent of orthopedic physicians reported a net worth under $500,000. Infectious disease specialists have the highest number of physicians reporting a net worth under $500,000, at 38 percent.
3. Twenty-one percent of orthopedic physicians said they are paying off student loans.
4. Twenty-four percent of orthopedic physicians reported living in a home that is more than 5,000 square feet. Plastic surgeons ranked just below that, at 23 percent.
5. Male physicians reported higher net worths compared to female physicians overall. Fourteen percent of physicians reporting at least a $5 million net worth were male, compared to 6 percent female. Thirty-five percent of physicians with less than $500,000 net worth were female, compared to 22 percent male.